Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Randoms From Today

We went bowling. Wyatt proceeded to tell everyone that he went bowling and that was his present. Turns out it was, seeing as how we didn't even give him the gift we had stashed away. Between the birthday goodies from family and the balloons from his friends, he's sure it was a plentiful day.

**********

As I put him down for his nap, I told Wyatt "happy napping, my three-year old." He sat bolt upright and asked, "Mommy, I still be three when I wake up?"

**********

I felt like I was in a flashback episode of The Sopranos today at the pool. The other two kids in the little pool were Anthony and Carmella. I made sure to stay on their good sides.

**********

We captured a lightning bug tonight in Wyatt's brand-spanking-new bug bungalow. We turned out all the lights and laid on the family room floor waiting for the little critter to light up. Turns out he never did but those few minutes with Jeff, Wyatt and me huddled together in the twilight were magical.

**********

Next year someone needs to remind me that Wyatt doesn't actually need a cake. I should just heap the frosting on a plate, let him decorate it and then dig in. It reminds me that I had such serious frosting cravings when I was pregnant with him that I finally broke down and bought myself a 1/32 sheet cake. It was so good!

**********

Last year on his birthday, Wyatt could barely string three words together. This year, he talked on the phone to his aunts, cousins and grandparents with minimal parental supervision. When I look at how much he's learning every single day, it's really no wonder that sometimes it's just too much for him to remember his manners, too.

**********

As Wyatt went upstairs for bed, I said, "I'm so glad you're my baby." He promptly replied, "kid." I stand corrected, for he is certainly a kid these days. Tomorrow I'll remind him he'll always be my first baby, no matter how old he gets.

5 comments:

Heather and Scott said...

Love it :) Makes me teary to think about them getting old though. Happy Birthday Wyatt! K is correcting me all the time when I say something about her being little...she says, "Mommy, I bigger now!" :)

Adrienne Rost said...

Crying again!

Steph said...

HI! Just catching up on your blog. I was thinking of you all this week, remembering it's a busy one in the Rock House, and telepathically sending all kinds of birthday and anniversary wishes your way!

The Blake Family said...

Awww...sounds like a good day and evening was had!

Craig and Jamie said...

I love the Sopranos comment...that one made me laugh!