Friday, December 06, 2013

Back When I Was a Blogger

I used to record funny little things my kids said and did. Now I just try to remember them, but who am I kidding? I'll forget even these little gems from the last three days.

Natalie tends to wake up talking and only takes breaks for eating, drinking or television-watching. Those activities don't eat up much of a day, so there's a lot of talking. She's especially verbose on our rides to school - those ten to twelve minutes are jam-packed with every random thought that pops into her head. Sometimes I can see where she got the topic, sometimes I can't, and sometimes I tune her out. Don't judge;  you would need a little break, too. Imagine my delight two days ago as I was half-listening and I heard this:

…and there are koalas and kangaroos, and sometimes sheep or lions or horses or cows. And some of these animals will be females. And some females, like the lion, will pee backwards.

Woah, what?! So I asked her what she said and she repeated it. So, of course, I burst out laughing to which she replied, "Mom, I'm serious. Do you not believe me?" I assured her she's probably right, but that I was surprised and she makes me laugh. She, in all seriousness, said, "well, Mom, I try to make you laugh at least once a day, sometimes more, sometimes not as much, but I'm glad I made you really laugh just now." Indeed.

So then today, before we'd left the neighborhood, she'd already covered the topics of who will be line leader (she desperately hopes it's her), explained how they handle show and tell (it's after everything else because then they can play and it's a secret) and led straight into, "Mom, can we sing the Bambi song? What is the Bambi song? You know, one about him being shiny? Or having a shiny head?" Note: those questions are rapid fire and impossible to answer one at a time. I got three-tenths of a second to process the inquisition and realized she wanted to sing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Makes sense, right? Shiny-headed baby deer equals famous reindeer with light-up nose. Anyway, she could remember the first part, but not the rest so I sang it for her a couple of times before she told me she had it and to please stop singing.

Now, Natalie has always been adept at rephrasing (i.e. I ask her to tell Wyatt dinner is ready and it turns into "Wyatt, go wash your hands so you can eat") so she relied on those skills when she realized she didn't quite remember all the words. It went something like this:

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer had a very shiny nose, and if you ever saw it you would even say it glows. The other deer friends used to make fun of him then tell him he couldn't play and that wasn't nice...

Not quite, but she's two-for-two on making me laugh.

1 comment:

SStites said...

Well, perhaps it is just all of my extra years of "experience," but I knew immediately what the song about Bambi being shiny was! Love your stories about the kiddies! Hugs to all of you!