Thursday, October 12, 2006

Did Someone Say Cookies?

I've learned that it's honestly challenging for me to be productive these days. It turns out I can spend hours doing nothing besides making up silly songs for Wyatt and singing them to him over and over until I get a smile or, better yet, the elusive giggle. I mean, by the time we take our morning walk, stop for coffee and get cleaned up, it's practically lunchtime - and yes, I know I have a "cush life", to quote my cousin.

This week I've been on turbo-drive (nevermind the fact that Wyatt's had some of his worst nights yet) because I'm supposed to be co-hosting a baby shower this weekend and have a huge list of projects: food, favors, albums, gifts. So Monday I cut out 75 sugar cookies in the shape of snails and dogs because snips and snails...that's what little boys are made of (by the way Lisa, it's all your fault. Nathan's party was so cute, the cookies were yummy and you made it look easy. You lie. It's not easy.), Tuesday I made a giant commissary run (during which Wyatt decided to make me a lovely present which required immediate action), and yesterday I cranked out 4 quiches during the little man's nap. Today's project was icing the cookies because it's not a party favor until it has cute icing, right? I mean, I bought my 3 lbs. of powdered sugar, I have my merengue powder, I bought frosting bags and squeeze bottles at 100 Yen, I bought cute little cellophane bags to wrap it all in. I even watched Martha Stewart's tutorial online! I woke up today PREPARED to ice 75 cookies.

And guess what? Kristin went into labor early, Jackson arrived this evening and the shower is postponed until further notice. Looks like the big tough guys at the 44th will be snacking on snails and puppies tomorrow and this scenario will repeat itself at some point next month. The lesson here? I have no idea. But now I know I can be productive when I have to be (so why is my kitchen floor so dirty?) and I can do it all on about 5 hours of sleep a night. I'm turning into such a grown-up.

Wyatt update: nada. No big accomplishments today except that he continues to flip himself over in bed then cry until one of us flips him back over. Annoying. And the incisors are still working their way in, plus now it looks like the tooth next to the incisor is cutting through, too. He should be sufficiently wolfish by Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...tis the life of a Mom!!! Nothing ever goes the way you want it to, your son never cooperates, and if everything goes well, nobody really notices how much work it took.

Hang in there!