Sunday, October 15, 2006

Raspberries and Retail

Wyatt woke up remembering that he is now a raspberry expert. I went in to get him this morning and was greeted by a smily, sloppy raspberry. I'm starting to get the fun part of this mommy thing. And maybe it was helped by the fact that he slept for seven hours straight last night. That's a good trick, sweetie! Show mommy how you can do that again and again! It was all smiles until we exersaucered again. After replacing the taunting frog with his favorite stuffed giraffe, I realized it was actually the yellow plastic stick thing which holds the frog that he finds offensive, so I removed the whole thing. Problem solved.....briefly. I was walking upstairs this afternoon and Jeff started laughing, telling me that "we might have created a monster." Now apparently the little king and queen that play music are on his list. It seems that if he can't get it in his drooly mouth, he has no patience for it. I'm not sure this is a good sign for things to come. I guess I should just be thankful that he will, apparently, never let us get bored; nor will we have to wonder how he feels. Go figure, I gave birth to a kid with strong opinions!

I got to go to the commissary by myself today (such a treat since I'm normally hauling a carseat and our not-customer-friendly store has chosen carts that do NOT accomodate a carseat so the kiddo has to ride IN the basket, which leaves me wedging all kinds of stuff around my little man, just hoping it won't topple into him). They had more pumpkins, most of them weren't rotten but maybe just a little moldy. Did it stop me? No way. And I treated myself to a pumpkin carving kit. I have grand delusions of carving some intricate masterpiece but in reality it will probably look more like something out of a kindergarten classroom! But hey, at least I have the kit. I think I've secretly always wanted a carving kit and now I justify it by thinking that, in just a few years, Wyatt and I will carve fancy pumpkins together. Right.

And while I'm on the commissary, I'd like tell the nice people of DECA that they're getting a little too loose with the "Deleted item -do not restock" labels . First it was the diapers for Wyatt (I mean, why carry the size 2 huggies? Who would need those?), then it was the Quaker women's oatmeal (don't worry, I bought 4 boxes but am going to have to start hoarding it because I'm down to two) and today it was something else that I'm blanking on. Perhaps this is my mind's way of preventing me from getting too disappointed? This is just another reason that my repatriation to the land of Target, Wal-Mart and competing grocery stores next year might be a tad overwhelming. Oh well, the good outweighs the bad and we'd stay if they let us :) Nonetheless, I will enjoy many pointless trips to said stores while we're home for the holidays. Ahhh, America really is the land of plenty. I can smell the retail already!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the raspberries and I love how a newly acquired skill must be practiced ALL THE TIME until the next milestone is attained. I had raspberries blown at me today after every bite of oatmeal. If you don't want to eat, we say just wear it.