Friday, February 23, 2007

Karma Rocks

I've had this issue since we've lived in Japan that I cannot find a hairdresser/stylist/lady/man/what-do-they-like-to-be-called-these-days that I like. And we've lived here for two years so it's not exactly a temporary problem.

But I think I've been scarred by these two years of missteps with my 'do, which has included but was not limited to: the Japanese lowlight fiasco that was deemed a "squadron hair emergency" (which, by the way, is when you know you really have good friends), many questionable cuts and trips to random stylists' homes that may have had one of the following: overfull litter boxes in the cutting area, dog feces on the floor, kitchen sinks as wash basin, etc. Get the picture? I'm not kidding when I say this has been one of the most difficult - if not the absolute hardest - things about living here. So I've gone to someone in the states every time I've been home but that person doesn't understand what I mean by "please not too many short layers because it's crazy humid year-round where I live and my hair turns into a big poof-ball". This misunderstanding was proven by the cut I received in December. Not good, people. Not good. And REALLY not good when that same cut has been growing unchecked since December.

But today! Well, today changed all that. Through friends, I finally found someone who not only understands my hair but actually works in a real salon. So Rumiko-san, on the off-chance you stumble across this blog, you should know I really wanted to hug you today. I mean, I've been in a funk lately and as you started cutting my hair (dry, mind you, which no one has done before but I had the utmost confidence in the way you studied the way it lay and stepped back as though you were sculpting to get a different perspective on my mane) I swear I felt weight lifting off my shoulders. I started feeling all giddy inside! It was so cool the way I'd be thinking "ahhh, that is so much better!" and you'd be excitedly whispering "so, so , so" to yourself (translation: yeah, yeah, yeah). And then when you washed it and gave me that awesome scalp massage? I wanted to see if you would be my new best friend. Then to top it all off, you dried it and sculpted some more. Heck, you even discovered why there's always that one section that ends up in a funny place; I never knew my natural part wanted to be so diagonal!

I have no idea if my hair really looks better to anyone else, but to me it's freaking fantastic. And that's really all that matters, right? So I wanted to let you know it was TOTALLY worth my hour and a half in the dentist's chair and being numb for 6 hours if this was my payback. And to this, I can only conclude that indeed, karma rocks.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

As a witness to the squadron hair emergency, and as a chick who had her hair cut in SC everytime she visited home from Japan, I can thoroughly understand your elation at finding a decent stylist in Okinawa!! Just curious...will you be sharing this intel with the other ladies, or will you opt to keep it to yourself like your secret little restaurant location? Hmmmmm?