Friday, February 23, 2007

Quick Turn on the Soapbox

I remember Lisa telling me that after Nathan was born, she started thinking more about the environment. At the time, I thought that was just her Colorado-ness coming through :) Now, however, I totally get it. I find myself wondering what we're leaving for our kids and our kids' kids. Seriously, what if we don't stop throwing everything in landfills? What if we don't stop eating weird additives in all our food? What if we keep driving smog-producing, gas-guzzling huge SUV's just because it's the "cool" thing to do and we think we need all that room? Don't get me wrong - I'm totally guilty of all of these things on some level. I mean, we have a lovely 4Runner waiting in storage for us that we will drive until it dies, I'm guilty of tossing some recyclables into the trash because it seems like a pain at the time to wash them out and let's not ignore the fact that we are happily using disposable diapers. But this stuff is important and I'm really trying, in my own little ways, to be more environmentally responsible.

That's the best part. All would take is a little bit from each of us and we could make a huge impact on the future of our planet. We need simple, small shifts in attitude. For example: Japan has recycling containers everywhere (like next to every vending machine, so you know that's a bazillion) and people here actually put the right stuff in each bin. But when I flew through O'Hare last time, I noticed people couldn't even manage to put their newspapers in the provided recycling bins. Instead, they dumped them right into the trash next to the recycling bin. See what I'm saying? It's just not that hard. And until we all do our tiny, little, easy part, it's not going to get any better.

That's why I liked this website that my friend Jackie told me about. Check it out: www.planetfesto.org. Make your piece. Make one small change in your everyday life and feel good about yourself. Wyatt thanks you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for saving the planet! Im so glad you have hopped onboard.

ps- how is the captain coming on the yogurt containers? :)

Unknown said...

Hey Steph,
So glad Laura gave me your address and am really glad you are doing well. I heartily applaud your environmental bent and know that isn't easy with a small (and, oh my gosh he's so cute!) person. Look forward to reading more about you guys!
Lynda

SStites said...

I DO recycle everything I can (how could I have John S., who has been the driving force behind curbside recycling in Tucson, Phoenix and Kansas City, MO., and is now happily doing all sorts of wonderful environmental stuff for San Jose, CA, for a son-in-law and NOT recycle)! But I agree, if we all made even ONE small effort it could make a huge difference. Have you all seen "An Inconvenient Truth?"