Saturday, June 02, 2007

Little Wheels

I'm surprised Wyatt doesn't have smoke coming out his ears. All of a sudden it's as though his thought processes are exponentially faster and I LOVE it. It's really amazing to see his brain working differently, faster and funnier.

His language is changing - not that he says anything yet - but you can see him mulling over new words and then checking with his mouth to find out if together they can produce the same sound. And today, for the first time, he picked up Millie's rope and handed it to her but held on so they had their first round of tug-of-war (to Millie's credit she's amazing with him - today is also the first time she didn't immediately drop the rope as soon as Wyatt was in the vicinity and instead gave it a nice, gentle tug so he smiled.)

He's just crawling around downstairs while I am (oh-so-responsibly) on the computer and he crawled into the kitchen a few minutes ago and stopped on the other side of the refrigerator, then he leaned his head around to look at me, waiting for me to say, "peekaboo!" Of course as soon as I said it, he grinned from ear to ear and leaned back the other way so I couldn't see him. Repeat, repeat, repeat - just like I did to him the other day when I was putting stuff away in there and he was in here playing.

He's also taught himself a sign. In the last week, anytime we ask if he's tired when he actually is, he puts his hands over his eyes and tucks his head. If we don't get that response when we ask, we know he's not quite ready for a nap. It's awesome to actually get a response rather than guessing.

But don't worry, I'm not delusional. I don't think he's a prodigy in the making or anything and he has plenty of bad habits and inabilities to remind me that he's an average-joe 11-month-old. Nonetheless, he's mine and I think he's perfect. And this is what he thinks if you don't agree.

No comments: