Sunday, November 15, 2009

Eight Months

Natalie, Natalie, Natalie. You make us laugh with your growling, squealing, blah-blah-blahing and smiles. You have finally started sleeping through the night about half the time. Somehow you totally get away with this non-conformity and we still just love cuddling you post-feed in your sleepy stupor. We're total suckers. Hopefully we won't always be so easily swayed by your charms.

Your crawling has gotten pretty speedy and all of a sudden you're really all over the place. You have no issue going after what you want - Wyatt's toys, random specks of dust, my hair - we're all equally on your list. And I watched you take something back from Wyatt today after he'd taken it from you; I think you'll hold your own quite nicely. You spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out steps. One of these days you're going to get it and then I'm really in trouble. You also are pretty sure you should just try to walk. You pull up all the time and will take steps if you're holding our hands. Newsflash: your balance will betray you! It's going to be a while before you can really motor like your brother and I see in your eyes that's your goal.

You've developed a healthy love of Cheerios, puffs, all food (broccoli didn't even give you pause!), Elmo, books and your music table. You're finally (finally! took you long enough) on a more regular nap schedule, though you still don't complain if our day doesn't let you get to your bed. Your easy-going attitude continues, and we only hear protests if you're tired or hungry. Turns out as long as you're held, though, even then you're pretty darn happy. Wyatt can almost always elicit a squeal of delight from you. I especially appreciate that you crack up at him when he's throwing fits. He, however, is slightly annoyed by that.

What else? You love your little blanket (but don't seem to care which one I give you) and I can tell if you're really ready for bed by the way you grin ear-to-ear when I hand it to you. No grin? You're not ready to sleep. You obviously understand "no" and will test our ability to say it over and over. You seem to really like power cords and I don't remember Wyatt doing that. Somehow I have a feeling you'll be my kid that gets into stuff she shouldn't - just so you know, your brother is a challenge but was never one to open cabinets. How about if you don't, either?

Your top tooth is about a quarter of the way in, the one next to it has barely broken through and I think I see the tips of two more bottom teeth. Your hair is a little less sparse and is definitely getting long...in sections. I have a learning curve on this girl hair thing - sorry in advance for the days to come when I can't quite figure out what to do with it. I mean, someday you'll read my archives and realize I can't even deal with my own hair, let alone someone else's! I did order you some more hair clips tonight, so hopefully you'll appreciate my attempts. You're getting too big for some of your 6-9 mo. clothes, especially sleepers and pants. There's some girth to deal with but we have all faith that someday you'll be perfectly proportioned. So in the meantime we adore your chunkiness. Seriously, we squeeze your chubby thighs and belly and grin with pride. And all that prodding makes you laugh, which is maybe the best sound of all.

No comments: