Thursday, April 28, 2011

Love Letters

Dear Croup,
I hate you. Now, I know that's a strong word and my mom might encourage me to say that I "strongly dislike" you, but I've made my word choice and I'm sticking with it. You see, my sweet boy has far too many visits from you. I've read and been told that once you attack a kid, you'll keep attacking that kid but I really need you to lay off. We need a full night's sleep. I need no more puke-due-to-gagging coughs. You and me, Croup, we're not friends and quite honestly, I'm pretty sure Wyatt's sick of hosting you. I've brought in the big guns so you'd best back off.

Sincerely,
Stephanie

***

Dear Tricare & Munson Health Center,
I've been singing your praises since we arrived in Kansas and I'd like to stand by you. You've been there when we've needed you with great appointment availability, conscientious doctors and friendly folks on the phone, but you failed me today. Can someone please tell me why you can't make an acute care appointment for first thing tomorrow when I call an hour before closing today? I know, I know, there are reasons but I know what I need! Just one little prescription for prednisone and my barking seal could rest easy for the night. Is it really too much to ask? Yes? Then I'll have to figure out another plan.

Thanks,
Stephanie

***

Dear Susan,
Thanks for answering your phone today and not laughing at how the conversation went.
     You: "Hello?"
     Me: "Do you have any extra prednisone floating around your house?"
Like the well-practiced mother of breathing challenged kids that you've had to become, you did. And you even offered to meet me halfway, which was above and beyond. I rather enjoyed my hour and a half away from the screaming masses my sweet kids and thought the silence of your house was lovely. So thanks for that and for the drugs that might, in fact, let me get through a night without a trip to the steamy-bathroom-cold-front-porch circuit where I've become a regular.

Love you,
Steph

***

Dear Mom & Dad,
Yes, it's true. I drove to Lawrence today and didn't even call you. Sorry. Clearly I'm abusing the fact that we're just right down the road because, let's face it, when's the last time I came to town without (1) showing up at your house with kids demanding snacks/bathroom breaks/attention; (2) leaving "my" bedroom look like a bag or three exploded in it; and (3) leaving behind at least one item. Yes, I realize Natalie's calculator is still there from last weekend and I could've retrieved it for her, but she hasn't been asking for it too much so we'll just let it stay. Just think how excited she'll be to see it again - you'll be heroes worthy of a full Natalie jump-due-to-happiness-overload!

Thanks for understanding,
Stephanie

***

Dear Croup,
It's me again. Hate is too strong, I guess. I might slightly miss that midnight cuddle with the sweetest four-year old I know. You bring out a mellow side of him rarely seen in waking hours. And the things there are to discuss at night! Last night he saw five airplanes and three satellites. He knew they were satellites because he could see their arms sticking out. That made me smile. He also knows now that the street lights outside our house cycle on and off and that the world is much more still in the night. Between you and me, Croup, I kind of liked it when Wyatt told his daddy that I'm much more comforting than he is. Who saw that coming? Not me! That said, I'd really appreciate it if you could ease up. We need the summer off, okay?

Thanks,
Stephanie

2 comments:

Susan said...

I hope he's feeling better and that the catching mood doesn't spread any further. :-)

Steph said...

Love the last one!! Cute post altogether!