Thursday, November 10, 2011

Not Participating, Really

A lot of people out there are doing the "thirty days of thankful" leading up to Thanksgiving. I applaud them and I try to count my blessings over my trials every day, but I'm not formally keeping you all posted of that running tally. Besides, you might not really care that Tuesday I was really thankful that both of my kids napped allowing me to rest for a whole hour without my boot on. It's a little mundane.

But today I'm thankful for my friends, especially the ones I don't get to see nearly enough. I've learned, through all my moves, goodbyes, hello-agains and see-you-soons, that true friends are the ones with whom I could never have enough time to just hang out and with whom I never have to spend time getting reacquainted. Yes, I fail - often miserably - at keeping up with the details of everyone's lives (if you'd all just write blogs…) but I'm honest in saying I think about my good friends often, even when I feel out of touch. So I'm feeling blessed to have finally had face time (the good old fashioned kind, not the Steve Jobs kind) with a friend I hadn't seen in nearly a decade and at the same time I guess I owe a small thanks to Mr. Zuckerberg for creating Facebook, for it seems to be perfect for someone like me to get to tell my friends near and far that I was thinking of you today and I'm thankful for you.

I'm also thankful for my husband, who gladly had a daddy day with the kids so I could have my afternoon. They love it, he loves it and I love that he has no qualms about making my life happier when he can. I especially enjoy that he sends me photos to narrate their day, and this one made me crack up because it was accompanied by a text message that read:

"I asked her (Natalie) to set the table with 4 forks"


"There are 24"
For some reason, that text and that picture with Wyatt looking totally bewildered at the pile of forks on each napkin cracked me up and made me thankful for those little people, too.

So I'm not participating, but if I were you might know what I'd write.

1 comment:

Adrienne Rost said...

Well said, my friend!