Friday, October 13, 2006

Cue the Elephants

The following occurred in a 5-minute stretch tonight. I wouldn't have thought it possible if I hadn't been a part of it.

Lisa and Nathan came over to tell us about their awful Chili's experience (this, unfortunately, did nothing to sway Lisa's impression of Chili's. So sad.) and I was trying to get through to Banyan Tree delivery. Jeff was getting Wyatt ready for his bath, setting up the tub, trying to find the hooded towels, clean sleepers, etc. (right, they're the same place they were last night). Nathan was doing his normal "you still haven't childproofed your house very well" exploring which means Lisa has to chase him around while she's talking to us (sorry) and Banyan Tree finally answered. Here's where the fun begins:

The guy says, in his thick Japanese accent, "thank you call Banyan Tree you hold, I on other line" Sure. No problem. While I'm holding, Jeff says, "Can we get some help in here? I need the wipes" - apparently Wyatt has made a special diaper just in time for a bath. No problem. I take the wipes in and hand them off just as Banyan man clicks back over. I place my order but can't get through it before Millie starts doing her horrible snorting thing in the hallway. I try to put my hand over her nose to get her to stop while Banyan man is repeating my order back to me and Nathan is now in the living room cracking up. Millie's snorting is hilarious when you're 15 months old. I think it was about this time that I hear Jeff start saying, "oh no" a few times. And Banyan man wants to know if I know that they have a pizza special this month. No, I didn't know. He tells me, "yes, you buy one pizza regular size we give one small size free so if you order pizza in October please call Banyan Tree." Yeah, okay. Great. I say "I'll remember that" and he says, "okay your order deliver in twenty five or fifty minutes" (because that makes sense). I've now walked over to the sink and found out that Jeff's comments are due to the fact that Wyatt was not, in fact, quite finished making that special diaper when Jeff plunked him into the tub. People, we have a floater! I tell Banyan man that twenty-five or fifty minutes sounds great so I can get off the phone. I'm cracking up, Jeff's cracking up and Lisa's pretty amused because Jeff told me to go dump the funky bathwater in the yard. Did you see it happen? Our concrete bungalow became a circus tent.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Steph and Jeff: So glad that both of you re experiencing all the "joys" of parenthood.

Anonymous said...

I knew you would tell the story better!! You did fail to mention your husband's commentary though which I found particularly amusing!

Anonymous said...

See, because of this blog I feel like I was actually there witnessing all of this! Life with children...aahhh, how wonderful it is!