Thursday, November 05, 2009

Music Man

As we were driving to school today, Wyatt requested I turn up a specific song and that is becoming more common. He definitely loves music and is quite equal-opportunity in his choices. So, because I think it's something I should remember when he's older, here are some of the songs that consistently get a hearty two-thumbs-up from Wyatt:

Celebration, Kool & The Gang
Say What you Need to Say, John Mayer
Sweet Escape, Gwen Stefani
anything by Jimmy Buffett
anything on NPR. Yes, that's right, the classical stuff on NPR is his fall-back every time.
Call My Name, Third Day
some Jay-Z song I don't know the name of
Boom Boom Pow, The Blackeyed Peas (however, he believes it's "boom boom cow")
Poker Face, Lady Gaga (and always elicits the question, "why is she poking her face?")

Funny kid. Incidentally, today was parent-teacher conference day for his preschool and we were disgruntled proud to learn that Wyatt uses excellent manners at school. His teacher was sure to tell us that Wyatt never has to be asked twice to do something, is quick to help pick up, is compassionate toward others and a joy to have in class. After confirming we were all talking about the same Wyatt, I was pleased yet sad that we'll have to do more home improvements. I mean, obviously there's some sort of forcefield around our house preventing his good behavior from being consistent within these four walls. Although he is a joy (on the days I'm able to take a deep breath and frame it as such), so hopefully the rest will start to break through for us, too.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm telling you--4 is the magic number. You're halfway there. ;)

SStites said...

Just please do NOT neglect this child's music education by failing to introduce him to Elton John, the favorite of Wyatt's Great-aunt Sharon! I'm sure he would love "Crocodile Rock" or "Bennie and the Jets" or just anything by my EJ! Hugs to all of you. A. Sharon

Susan said...

We're loving Katy Perry and the Kings of Leon in our car. And, seconding SStites on Elton John as well as Billy Joel. Don't forget him!

Heather and Scott said...

Oh, how L&K love "Poker Face" too...they'll go around the house saying "puh-puh-puh poker face my poker face" :) I'm sure you can imagine.

And the force-field is around our house too. It's an amazing phenominon. I don't know how to spell that word.

Stephanie said...

Amen to Elton John & Billy Joel. He's definitely a fan of the former - need to make sure he's heard the latter!

Adrienne Rost said...

I'd say you are doing a great job. They all act up at home right now! outside of the house is the true test!

PS - I would say a little Country should be included into the mix...Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks or even Johnny Cash or Willy if you dare! :o)